Recover original

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

Recover original

Unread postby ptrworth » 18.07.2012 06:45

I am a few days into the trial and thus far am very impressed. I have been through the help and forum but could not see the solution. Forgive me if I am mistaken.

I notice that, after saving a developed image, moving to the next image, then returning to the previous image, the recovery icons (bottom left) are unavailable. To start from scratch again, I copy/replace the image from the originals subfolder, but this requires drilling down to the current folder in the copy window. Is there a better way?

Thank you

Peter
ptrworth

Re: Recover original

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 19.07.2012 10:32

Please go to menu\File\Reprocess original

This command will load original image with the history of editing it. You will be able to edit or remove all filters that were applied to original image.
Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby ptrworth » 19.07.2012 22:45

I saw that selection before I posted the question, but it is grayed out for some of the adjusted images (and which appear in the 'originals' folder), so I presumed it was somehow something to do with RAW images. Also, the word 'reprocess' threw me rather than 'reload' or 'recover'.

I must be doing something wrong, but not sure what. Is there an explanation of that menu item somewhere? Forgive me if I have missed it.
ptrworth

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 22.07.2012 21:45

Reprocess orginal command opens original file with all edits that were applied. So 'recover' and 'reload' is not exactly what it does. If you have better name for it, let us know.

I would appreciate if you help us to fix bugs with this function if any. This command should be available for all images that were modifed and saved.
Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby ptrworth » 23.07.2012 00:39

Thank you. I am not sure if it could be considered a bug. I am so new to HF that I may have done something wrong. I will play further to make sure.

I am coming from Lightroom 4 where my workflow worked well for me e.g.
1.import pics to an “originals/[subfolder date]”
2.assess duplicates and unacceptable shots and delete all unwanted
3.edit remaining images and export to a gallery folder for viewing.
Any edits are non-destructive but the original image, viewed in LR, shows the history and effects of the edits via the .xmp sidecar.

With HF I can do much the same except that No. 3 “export” is done by the “save as”. This presents a frustrating problem - the edits to the image are lost. Also, I cannot tell at a glance which images have been edited. I tried the green quick save but I consistently got caught out by forgetting to quick save before selecting the next image (see my other thread).

If the “save as” dialogue included a “quick save” option (to save the original in an “originals” subfolder and retain the edits), this would be OK (my workflow would be different but acceptable).

However, either way, some sort of tag/icon to show which shots have been edited, would be a great help.

I really do like many aspects of HF. I have compared images developed in LR and HF often produces the better result. Particularly appealing is the excellent cloning tool which is missing from LR.

Peter
ptrworth

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 24.07.2012 21:11

Hello Peter,

I appreciate your comments indeed. It is very important how the program fits to existing workflow of the photographer and that is exactly your case. I would recommend you to check Helicon Photo Safe which can be used for importing, assessing images (Quick View), comparing images (Side by side view) and organizing them.

The idea behind Save function is that usually you do not need to edit all your images. You import all of them, delete bad ones and edit only some of them. Edited images are saved in the same folder and originals are automatically backed up into subfolder.

Your suggestion about tagging edited images is noted for future versions. Your further suggestions are welcome!
Stas Yatsenko

Return to Helicon Filter: General